Saturday 26 October 2013

A Haunting Birthday Card



Hi, everyone all ready for halloween ?  We don't really celebrate it here nor did we in Australia, however it is a fun time and whenever one of my children go to a birthday party at this time of the year. I do try and make a Halloween themed birthday card.

Simon is going to a birthday party for one of his class mates today and I've made a Halloween themed  flip-it card for his friend.  I thought to take some construction photos of this flip-it card, so I've posted them here.

Fig 1 : Score and fold your card so that the front of the card is folded back on itself.  Then open the card up again and lay it on your cutting pad as above, with the midpoint of your die laying on the fold line.  Keep in place with temporary tape or a post-it note.

Fig 2 : Place the bottom edge of the top cutting plate so that it lays on the fold line and run it through your machine.


Fig 3 and 4 : Only the upper or left half of the label has been cut.

I embossed a small piece of black magic card using a Cuttlebug spiderweb embossing folder, and cut another Label 2.  I sanded the label to reveal the purple underneath the surface of the black magic card, added a black spider (cut from black glitter card using the Sizzix medium die Spider #2) and the word "Party" (cut from white card using the Sizzix Decorative Strip die Wingo Zingo and distressed with Dusty Concorde Distress Ink).  This became my card front image. 


I then cut another black Label 2 added the word "sweet", a skeleton and a pair of bony hands, all cut using the Sizzix Bigz die Sweet w/Skull.  These were all distressed with Dusty Concorde, Chipped Sapphire and Mustard Seed Distress Inks.  I chose Labels 2 because I wanted to make something that looked like a gravestone, and I tried to make my skeleton look as if he was clawing his way out of the grave.  Love those hands - well there was only 1 hand included with the die but I cut 2 of them and reversed one - could just as well be playing the piano don't ya think.


I dressed up the inside with some DP from Papermania, on which I printed "Schei Ge-BOO-ertstag" (shéi Gebuertstag is luxembourgish for Happy Birthday) and a cobweb border from EK success.

I'm quite liking these flip-it cards.  They're not difficult and they stand open like an easel card but they're much more effective when opened.  One word of advice, make sure you go over that fold line with your bone folder to make it really crisp.  This will ensure you card lies flat when closed.


Hope you liked this Haunting Birthday Card.  As Make My Monday has a Halloween theme this week I'm entering it their challenge.  Lots of great halloween inspiration over there !!!

Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Haunting !!!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! Thanks for visiting my blog. Lovely Halloween card, and thanks for the tip how to cut it! Greetings from Rhineland! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. GreAT WORK; KATHERINE. Beautiful, spooky card. pls, let me know how much i owe you for the plates and when i can pick them up... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrific Halloween card! A great design with lovely spooky elements

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great Halloween card, love how you made it - thanks for joining in this week at MMM - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic card Kate. Love your clever design. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love it and great tutorial, I'll use that. x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!