Wednesday 17 September 2014

Shiny Pink Bird


I tried my hand at a new crazing technique I read about recently - sorry can't remember where.  You apply several coats of embossing powder to an image, crack it, rub distress ink into cracks then remelt.  I die cut this Memory Box Meadow Bird, coated it with several coats of pink embossing powder, cracked it and tried rubbing Worn Lipstick DI into the cracks, but it made no difference to the colour.  I thought my problem was that I had used coloured embossing powder so I coated it with clear UTEE, and it reacted very strangely with the pink embossing powder causing holes in the pink and then mixing with the pink until I was left with a marbled effect.  I continued to experiment by sprinkling glitter on the still molten UTEE (which naturally doesn't show up in an indoor photo but looks fab IRL).

I used the Birds 'n' Trees Stamp and Emboss set from Sizzix/Hero Arts for the background, embossing it with pink Clearsnap EP.  The sentiment is from WMS Alpine Christmas and was stamped with Smokey Grey Versafine (my son James said the pink sentiments in the previous 2 cards were too hard to read).


I am entering this card in the Fusion Challenge Shiny Pink (I had the bird, the background and the sentiment but couldn't figure out what to do next until I happened upon this sketch).

I am also entering this in Festive Friday Challenge 40 where the pointy trees in this photo inspired me to use the Birds 'n' Trees background stamp.


Finally, as the Birds 'n' Trees set hadn't been used before, I am entering this in Darnell's fabulous NBUS Challenge #2


Thanks for stopping by,
Kate



13 comments:

  1. How pretty! I love how you've incorporated the pink embossing on the dry embossing! So glad you joined us at Festive Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kate, this is a very unique technique. I will definitely give this a try. Love how sweet your Christmas card came out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, OH EM GEE, Kate! You need to do a tutorial on how you made that bird which looks like priceless pink marble!! I mean, you said how you did it, but I would love to see it done. It is spectacular, especially set against that also brilliant embossed background!! Isn't that cool that you stumbled across Fusion!! Thank you so much for playing in my second NBUS Challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card and a great technique! Love the pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pink...pink...I love the pink!
    Thanks for joining us at FUSION!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, dear Kate! Love your little bird in that marble look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the marble look of the bird and textured pink BG :) Thank you for sharing with Fusion !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! What a neat card and fun technique! Love this! So glad you joined us at Festive Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! your background is SUPER amazing!!! Thanks so much for joining us at FUSION!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that embossed and crackled bird Kate, and your pretty layered background! So lovely in the pink! thank you for joining us in the Fusion Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, that bird is so pretty. Lovely the way the whole thing came together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the non-traditional Christmas colors! Thanks for playing with Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your birdie turned out really pretty! I like that technique! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you !!!